"Our biggest mission field is in our own backyard."

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Babies, Bumps in the Road, & God's Will


Each day has something new. Something new to see or learn. I am still at awe that Sarah Williams esta en Costa Rica! It's is so natural feeling, that I don't feel thousands of miles away. Each day, I fall more in love. A Spanish Environment is comfortable for me. Maybe more than English. I know I am not fluent, but I can talk to the kids with ease. When I am speaking Spanish, the rest of the world fades away. An amazing moment was when I told this group of little ones, who Mariana promised I would give them candy the day before, met me at 7:30ish this morning to ask where the candy was. After I handed them each a peppermint I told them the man in the sunglasses had candy too. [El hombre con las gafas del sol tiene confites tambien] Now I know that there are suppose to be accents, but idk how to put those on there. It is a rewarding feeling to turn around and see people with the "Did that just come from her?" look on their faces. I am happy God gave me a talent for learning Spanish. Today I got to hold several babies at an Underage Teen Mom meeting. It was so much fun. The place we went to was oriented with Young Life. I regret not getting involved with that while I was in high school.

So I helped with the kids who were mostly from a couple of months to 6ish, but mostly were just walking good & not a lot of speech in any language.  I know my mom would be proud of this moment: There was a little boy, Joshua, he was tiny and probably came up to my knee. He walked around a lot, so I walked towards him & crouched a little while doing a jazz hands kinda thing to do Tick Spiders.....well he did not like that all...he started to back away with a look of terror and started to cry.....so I stopped said LO SIENTO!!! and let one of the ladies we were helping to get him, so the scary gringa wouldn't go near him. He was cranky for most of the morning. So I then grabbed Rachell. She was learning how to walk, but not by herself yet. She would NOT smile for me, and I was determined to get one of those children to like me because Mariana told ALL the ladies I was the Baby Master.....so no pressure. Eventually Rachell warmed up to me, and I helped her slide down the slides. She like it, and wanted to keep sliding. After a bunch of clapping, smiles, and yelling weeeeeeeeee!!!! or YAAAAYYYYYY!!!! She finally gave me a 8 or so teeth grin. She was precious.

Rachell (Mi corazon)

We also had a minor bump in the road, but the results from it were very rewarding. Coming back from the place with the teen mom meeting, we stopped at a grocery store to pick up our supper from a friend of Mariana. He is a super duper good cook! Like I have a clean plate each time. YUM! I was asleep on the back row of our passenger van, and woke up to us parked. I sat up because our van is for 15 people, so one row can be used as a bed if no one is sitting on it. I sat up to find that we had ran into a car while backing up. Apparently we were backing up & this lady thought she could zip into a parking spot on the other side of the van. She went diagonally into the spots, and we dented her back right corner of her car. Everyone was in the same shape they had woke up this morning. SO we were okay. But Costa Rica traffic police had to come & both drivers have to go to traffic court because both are in the wrong. However, that is a low of the day.... a high came out of it. We were delayed for about 2 hours because of the accident. This gave half of the team who were at Carolina's house to do the Wordless Book lesson to the kids in the barrio. Some even immediately went and told their families about what they had just heard. Some parents even wanted a copy of the story. I don't know if all the families were believers or not, but many of the kids were eager to listen. Without a delay, those kids may not have heard the Wordless Book and that through accepting Jesus Christ in your heart that you cannot get to Heaven. Even Carolina's family came to listen in on parts of it. A common response to Mariana from Carolina was, "Oh, you and your Jesus." We finished her room today. Well half of the team finished it. They did a remarkable job, and I am super proud of them. I am thankful that God has put so many different talents in one team to get many different jobs done. While concrete is not my talent, it is others.

The Finished Product of the room
There is still a lot to be done, but we don't know if we will be the team to help make it to the truly finished project. Yesterday that room had no skylight. It had dirt floors, no dry wall, it was merely cinder blocks forming a small rectangle. Three people will sleep in this room. Carolina, Suri, & Evan.
I am also thankful that I could talk to some of the girls on the trip about stuff. It was reassuring to hear advice and encouragement on things that I see as downfalls or something I wasn't quite sure on.
But a big day tomorrow. We are going to a church of Pastor Alejandro. We will be helping with the service, then we will be working with kids for like a Bible Camp. I am on the sports/rec part. It will be lots of fun. :) Pues, CIAO MIS AMIGOS!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment